Bill Taylor’s EM gauge Light Railway
Set in the period 1910 – 1920 the Amounderness Light Railway is an imaginary branch off the Garstang and Knott End Light Railway running from Nateby to a terminus at Staining near Blackpool. Born out of the Hardhorn & Staining Light Railway, which had become bankrupt before completion, this railway had an undistinguished existence for nearly 60 years until closed along with the Garstang to Knott End in the 1960’s. Although independent of each other the two companies had a close working relationship, sharing equipment as required. The line provided a means, independent of the Lancashire & Yorkshire and London & North Western Railways, of getting produce from the Fylde area to market. Fresh vegetables were the mainstay of traffic, but livestock was also important. An agricultural merchants at Hardhorn Station provided regular business bringing in anything from seeds to threshing machines.
The layout has been built over a number of years to enable running of a collection of small locos and odd rolling stock which have slowly been built. The locos, all typical of what a small rural line would own, are a mix of scratch and kit built items. Coaching stock is from brass kits – both 4 wheeled and 6 wheeled stock are used . Wagons are all kit built. Trackwork is by SMP with the points being built on copperclad sleepers and soldered together. Buildings are scratch built, using card, embossed plasticard, paper, old photographs, brass rod and anything else lying around at the time. These are painted with enamel paints and weathered. The backscene is painted with enamel paint, and is based loosely on what can be seen around Garstang .